Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protecting an Exchange server?

From: "Jose Enrique Diaz Jolly" <enrique.diaz () cbbanorte com mx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:51:24 -0500

Sure there are several methods, some of them are expensive on cash other
on time and fine tuning.

We have a strong policy against exposing any one whose surname is
Microsoft to the internet. So we have made different schemas for
different services.

For SMTP we have an SMTP server, sendmail on a linux box with some
filters on it like Spamassassin, bogofilter etc. This server verifies if
the destination address is a real recipient using some of the sendmails
LDAPRouting features against the inside network's Active Directory. We
only have a single cluster with Exchange so I don't need the ability to
route mail towards different servers to reach the recipient's mailbox.
Thus facilitates me to ensure that any generated "rejection" is made by
my linux box which is on my DMZ. No Exchange is "announced". Then
instead LDAPRouting, I pass (deliver) all mail to an inside server which
has all the TrendMicro Security Suite, AntiSPAM and AntiVirus software
which finally delivers to the actual Exchange. On the other hand
outgoing mail is delivered to another box (smart relay) which also has
sendmail on linux.

The other feature is serving OWA, we revised MS' recommendation about
serving securely OWA with an ISA server but I was not satisfied, so we
started to work on a reverse proxy (a reverse proxy is a proxy by
another name) built with Apache, again on a linux box. Using some
features such as rewrite and proxypass I can serve owa without
announcing nor letting it to be seen my OWA server.