Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port Scan(?)

From: Sumit Chaudhary <chaudharysumit () netscape net>
Date: 12 Oct 2004 20:34:19 -0000

Can you tell me the reason behind this broadcast? IDS of my customer is having allergy with these broadcasts.

Thank you in advance.

-Sumit

Subject: Re: Port Scan(?)
To: Adrian Horton <adhort02 () yahoo com>
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
From: jklemenc () fnal gov
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:28:24 -0600

Sonicwall IRE VPN Client perhaps? Look for IREike.exe in the Task Manager's
process list.

Joe

                     Adrian Horton

                     <adhort02@yahoo.c        To:       security-basics () securityfocus com

                     om>                      cc:

                                              Subject:  Port Scan(?)

                     03/20/2002 01:41

                     PM

The incidents () securityfocus com owner rejected this
post so can anyone here make sense of this?

On my 10.1.2.0/24 network, I discovered (with
Ethereal) that one of my hosts (10.1.2.112) was
broadcasting UDP packets to 255.255.255.255 to port
62516.
The *source port* though was incrementing by one after
every packet. That host machine is running Windows
2000.

Anyone know what kind of activity this is? It seems
the opposite of a port scan and it is inside my
private network. I know which machine it is, I just
can't figure out what it was doing so I disconnected
it from the network until I figure it out.

Thanks,

AH