Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Ad-aware installs spyware

From: Mike Fetherston <mike_sha () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:20:25 -0400

I think those rumours could be based on how Spybot would detect the spyware
that had been quarantined by Ad-Aware.  Ad-Aware keeps these archives in
it's Lavasoft folder in Program Files.  In older versions, if Spybot
detected Ad-Aware, it would notify you of this by a notification window on
startup.  In all the years that I've been using the two, I've never seen
Spybot S&D detect Ad-Aware as spyware, just as you've experienced.

Mike Fetherston

Not to sound like the poster-child for Ad-Aware, but I've read articles
stating the power of Ad-Aware (free version) compared to others freeware
anti-spyware apps.  I've heard rumors before that Spybot S&D would
detect Ad-Aware as spyware because it being a competitive product, but
I've never experienced that firsthand.

Joe

Could you maybe be thinking of any of the sponsored links that appear
when
you query for 'ad-aware'?

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=ad-aware&btnG=Search&meta=

If you suspect that certain anti-spyware products are indeed making the
situation worse, check here:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

Specifically, read this note about noadware (which is one of the
sponsored
links appearing in that query):

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#naw_note