Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote Management using Dial-up/Broadband

From: s0u1d13r s0u1d13r <s0u1d13r () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:46:04 -0700

You can configure RealVNC to use encryption. Read the docs, it's
surprisingly easy.

On 8/5/05, security () surefoot com <security () surefoot com> wrote:
Hi Ramki

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 10:54, Ramki B <RB> wrote:
Hello

I would like to know which would be the best application for Remote
management of Windows Servers (Win2k3, IIS, Exchange etc.) from any
Dial-up/Broadband connection. The setup is typically to monitor and manage
the Windows server at office from home using a ISP ...

Are Remote Desktop or MTS safe enough? Any safer alternative to these?

If you're in a Windows-only environment Remote Desktop ought to be enough. To
add some security you could use an encrypted VPN or tunnel (PPTP, IPSEC,
whatever).

In mixed environments I prefer VNC, but that's cleartext so you'll need to add
some kind of encryption if you're using public networks.