Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to block connections running on non-default ports

From: "James Scott-Brown" <jamesscottbrown () tiscali co uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:28:41 +0100

        As far as I am aware, telnet will not generally be detected as
masqueraded connections because all the telnet protocol does is send any
received data to the screen and anything typed to the remote computer.
This is why you can use telnet to connect to a website on port 80 and
send raw HTTP commands, or send an email from a mail-server via raw SMTP
on port 25. A telnet connection on port 443 (normally used for SSL) is
indistinguishable from an SSL connection coming from a browser. As far
as the server is concerned, it is using the SSL protocol - not the
telnet protocol. If you telnet to port 443 you will not receive a shell,
you will connect to the SSL server (if one is running). If you wish to
block port 443, you should do so at the firewall - after checking that
it is not needed.

James Scott-Brown