Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to block connections running on non-default ports

From: abretten () kroger com
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:44:08 -0400

If people are trying to run SSL on a non-standard port (e.g. not tcp 443) a
proxy level firewall or in this specific example a decent web proxy with
access lists WILL block access based on port #.

Even in SSL the HTTP method still has to reference the host name and
non-standard port number and thus can be used as part of the ACL logic.

Andy

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ... '    Isaac Asimov

Andrew P Bretten
andrew.bretten () kroger com
Office (513) 459 9519 - 9am-5pm EST

             "Roger A. Grimes"
             <roger@banneretcs
                                       "Niranjan S Patil"
             08/18/2005 07:50          <niranjan.patil () gmail com>,
             AM                        <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: how to block connections
                                       running on non-default ports

This is a common issue and a proxy device is needed. By definition a
proxy firewall, with a service proxy, would review and strip out all
"malformed" data from a communication's stream. Unfortunately, because
443 is normally encrypted, I'm not sure how accurate any 443 proxy
firewall service would be...but many firewalls let you build your own
proxy filters and I'm sure you could be fairly accurate with a little
research.

Also, many network traffic analyzers, like Ethereal, can sometimes not
the correct traffic type even when running on non-default ports. It
depends on the sniffer and the protocol.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), CEH, CHFI
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****