Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ssh tunneling to bypass web proxy rules

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:52:11 +0100

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 06:03 -0700, Juan B wrote:
Hi,

Someone told me one can pass web proxy restrictions by
tunnling throw ssh to restricted web sites like web
mail sites in our corporate network.I really whant to
know how he is doing that but I dont know where and
how to test it, and he of course doesnt tell.

http://www.bsrf.org.uk/article.php?story=20050531134717941

This link describes how ssh can be used to bypass firewall restrictions,
the same technique can be used if you configure the ssh client to go
through the proxy. It also explains how the traffic can be recognised.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3