Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: Mike Sweeney <mikesweeney () packetattack com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:40:30 -0700

Before anything.. make a copy of the disk and lock the original away with a chain of evidence. Use Ghost or DD. Work only on a copy.

Examine the disk using something like Knoppix STD or Audit or other bootable CD.

swap file..
history files for IE
Alternative Browser history files
use a undelete tool to see what might be recovered for cookies etc
check for firewall logs or proxy server logs

If he is really that clever, look for alternative data streams and hidden files..
Look for a hidden partition

Some history and last URLs can be found in the registry

I'm sure other will toss in their 3 cents too :)

MikeS

mikesweeney () packetattack com
www.packetattack.com
Home of "Network Security using Linux"