Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:38:48 -0400

It might be beneficial to drop a keylogger on the machine and record
data that way.

Another neat idea is to put an NTOP box between your gateway and your
network.  It will record all outgoing/incoming traffic and correlate
IP's and MAC addresses.  However this will not help you if the employee
is not longer employed with your company.

If your are doing a forensic investigation you should STOP right where
you are and DD image the drive.  You should not be doing any work on the
actual drive itself.  It might be beneficial to resubmit your inquiry to
the forensics forum.

JMB