Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: "Joel A. Folkerts" <jfolkert () hiwaay net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:54:47 +0200

Edmond,

 You need to tackle this problem from two fronts: user's computer and the
network. Legal issues aside, the first thing you need to do is get smart on
computer forensics. If your company plans on combating this numerous times,
you probably want to invest in some hardware and software. The hardware
doesn't have to be anything special - a simple PC with moderate hard drive
space that has free 5 1/2" bays. The software is a little pricier - I
recommend either EnCase ~ $3,000
(http://www.encase.com/products/ef_index.asp) or FTK ~ $1,000
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product04_Overview.htm?ProductNum=04). I
personally prefer EnCase but both products are equally capable. If your
budget is restrictive - you can use a suite of free or relatively
inexpensive tools.

 For the budget conscience - here is just one example of how you can do it:
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-03/bh-us-03-willis-c/bh-us-03-w
illis.pdf

 Coming from a law enforcement background, there are fundamental steps that
must be taken to ensure the exam is legally sufficient. You must image the
machine (make an exact bit-for-bit replica of the user's hard drive). This
ensures that you are working from a copy and not altering the original
drive. The next thing you must do is lock up the original for evidentiary
purposes. (This allows user's lawyers to compare your findings with the
original so he or she cannot claim you planted evidence.) Conduct the exam.
During this entire process, document everything! It may seem overkill but
the notes can make all the difference.

 Regardless of how you obtain forensic access to the user's machine - there
are a ton of little niches that Internet activity is stored.
(http://www.securityfocus.com/print/infocus/1827)

 Now onto the network side -- If you have a moderate to large company,
you're most likely using a proxy device to access the web. This device
provides a centralized point of controlling and logging web use. *Most*
companies do not store these for more than 30 days - the logs simply take up
too much room.

 Above all - make sure you're legally cleared to conduct the exam and obtain
proxy information. There's nothing more frustrating than having a whinny
lawyer having your case dismissed because of a minor legal issue. Even if
this is all being done in-house and you don't foresee this going to court -
always be prepared for that day to come. The user can turn around and sue
your company for numerous reasons if he or she feels they were unjustly
fired.

Good luck!

-Joel