Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: Steven Kalcevich <lists () ciscokid net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:53:16 -0400

Best advice i can give you from my 6 years experience so far is not to think about the "now" but what you want out of your career and focus on that. I started working for myself fixing spy ware problems in home pcs as no one would hire me in a techy job as I had no proof or experience. I made sure everyone liked my service and referred me. If this company wont give you experience move on. I am currently an IT Manager for a 15M /year clothing company in Canada and manage our E store that does in excess of $125,000.00 in sales a year.

bgreene () ccllc org wrote:

I am currently attending classes for my 2 yr CS degree, it has been suggested to me to go ahead and get some certs now. I am lucky enough to have
moved to a position with my present employer in the IT department and am getting the all important hands on. Perhaps I will get my certs, perhaps
not. One thing I am certain of is that I will not stop at a 2 yr degree, that would be as bad as the fellow with an arm full of MSCE's
thinking he is <insert higher power>'s gift to computers. I would trade 2 years hands on for one year schooling anyday. The issue with
me currently not having any certs or degrees is that, even though I am confident in my skills, I have no way to prove to a future employer that I
do know what I profess to know.<br><br>Get the degree, you can always go for the certs during the summer months when school is out.