Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:14:57 -0400

Actually this is a very interesting topic to discuss, one factor to add is particular location in the country and some times other countries. If one were to poll different places of the US, HR sometimes are not involved until the director or person that is interested in hiring the candidate has made up their mind of the particular candidate without considering if the potential candidate has a degree or CISSP certificate.

Some potential companies don't even care if they hire a CSO without a college degree as long as they have the right credentials or list that they have 25 years experience in network security and around the age of 40 . The math should go without saying, that should eliminate the potential candidate with HR. Hmm, candidate can't add, but yet claims all this experience, possibly this potential candidate believes there is 8 layers to the TCP/OSI stack..

It is even more interesting when the potential candidate's resume list products and when questioned about them, they state: "That was a long time ago, haven't touched in a long time." Unless they know the product inside, outside, backwards and forwards, don't list it.

If the potential candidates submits that they have a CISSP, it is very easy to look it up, if the CISSP is expired, the number is no longer valid.

/mht