Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RPC over HTTP security

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:16:38 +0000

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 22:46 -0500, Steve wrote:
We ran OWA with SSL, didn't mean our server didn't get owned by a hacker.
Consider running a reverse proxy 'nix based box in front of your OWA box
which runs on IIS.

STEVE

And then what?

Reverse NAT passing through a NIX box offers absolutely no security at
all unless the NIX box has an IPS/IDS or something of that ilk setup on
it which you could easily have on the firewall that is between the OWA
box and the net.

Having a NIX box in place doesn't offer any security above having a
firewall unless the NIX box actually has something running on it.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

blog: http://zeedo.blogspot.com
site: http://www.bsrf.org.uk

[ gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x96025FD0 ]