Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RPC over HTTP security

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:54:54 +0100

On 2005-02-03 Barrie Dempster wrote:
On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 22:46 -0500, Steve wrote:
We ran OWA with SSL, didn't mean our server didn't get owned by a
hacker. Consider running a reverse proxy 'nix based box in front of
your OWA box which runs on IIS.

And then what?

Reverse NAT passing through a NIX box offers absolutely no security at
all unless the NIX box has an IPS/IDS or something of that ilk setup
on it which you could easily have on the firewall that is between the
OWA box and the net.

Reverse proxying and NAT are two different things.

Having a NIX box in place doesn't offer any security above having a
firewall unless the NIX box actually has something running on it.

That's why it has.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."