Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Need secure firewall for SOHO

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:12:39 -0700 (MST)

My favorite firewall is still BorderWare.
http://www.borderware.com/products/

But, it's kind of overkill for SOHO...

What you need is a solid firewall device/server at the LAN entrypoint,
much like his existing Linksys.  Additional client side firewalls are a
good idea too, but should not be used in lieu of a central firewall.  They
are an excellent supplement to a dedicated firewall.

Personally, I like F-Secure for the PC side firewall software...

For SOHO firewall appliance, these should work:

Netgear makes several SOHO devices, supporting up to 253 client IPs.  The
number of physical ports is irrelevant, a supplemental switch can be
connected to the device.

Cisco PIX,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/ps2031/index.html

Sincerely,