Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certifications

From: "Steve Fletcher" <safletcher () insightbb com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:30:42 -0600

I'm not sure what anyone else will say regarding this, but personally, I
don't see how the Security+ cert could hurt.  The best part is that it's a
lifetime cert, so once you pass the test, you never have to renew it.  So,
as a first step, I think it's great.

Does having this cert make you a security expert?  No.  But, is it a good
place to start working on certifications?  Sure.

The SANS GIAC certs look pretty good, too, depending on what you want to do.
General network certs are good, too, to help with basic networking concepts
(Network+, CCNA, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Steve Fletcher
MCSE (NT4/Win2k), MCSE: Security (Win2k), HP Master ASE, CCNA, Security+
safletcher () insightbb com