Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: chat logs

From: John Blackley <jblackley () sysmatrix net>
Date: 17 May 2005 21:28:41 -0000

It has been interesting - watching an initial request for help evolve (degenerate?) into a discussion on parenting as
regards childrens' rights to privacy.

To the latter, I can only say this - I follow the pattern set for me by my parents and in that pattern, children have
no 'rights', only privileges.

As to the original request, I cannot think of any efficient way to gather 'after the fact' information on what every
child in the community with access to a computer has been talking about. (And doubt that finding a teenager who had
looked up 'bomb making' on the internet is much cause for alarm anyway.)

What you may want to do, however, is to sponsor a class to teach parents the rudiments of controlling and monitoring
their childrens' activities while on the internet. That way, a percentage (perhaps small) of your community of parents
who are currently less technology-savvy than their children may get a chance to do a little catching up.

John A Blackley