Security Basics mailing list archives

Solaris/UNIX Network Performance & Security

From: "Jason T. Hallahan" <jthallah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:06:15 -0500

Hello and good day,

I am looking for a freely available tool/package, doesn't have to be
anything special, that will give me relatively real-time network
statistics regarding the NIC on my Solaris 8 box. Mainly I am looking
for packets transmitted, packets lost, bytes transmitted, collisions
on the interface, and possibly who is causing it (find the
bottleneck/troublemaker). So far I have been using a combination of
Ethereal/Ettercap/Etherape to perform this task, but I was wondering
if anybody could point me in a better direction.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the
optimal/minimal freeware toolset/configuration to try and achieve as
much of Core Impact's functionality as possible. So far, I have been
using Metasploit, Nessus, and NMap. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time. Any help is always appreciated.
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Jason