Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Solaris/UNIX Network Performance & Security

From: John Doe <security.department () tele2 ch>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:49:33 +0100

Jason T. Hallahan am Montag, 21. November 2005 20.06:
Hello and good day,
I am looking for a freely available tool/package, doesn't have to be
anything special, that will give me relatively real-time network
statistics regarding the NIC on my Solaris 8 box. Mainly I am looking
for packets transmitted, packets lost, bytes transmitted, collisions
on the interface, and possibly who is causing it (find the
bottleneck/troublemaker). So far I have been using a combination of
Ethereal/Ettercap/Etherape to perform this task, but I was wondering
if anybody could point me in a better direction.

There are some standard tools you could have a look at:

ifconfig
ifstat
netstat -s

Should give you at least some answers.