Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Outgoing IPSEC

From: Securi Net <securinet2004 () yahoo ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:29:10 -0500 (EST)

Thanks again, Jason.

That clarifies it and gives me a strong case in
denying such requests.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Regards

CP

--- Jason Thompson <securitux () gmail com> wrote:

No problem.

With a stateful inspection device (firewall), it
does allow
bidirectional traffic as long as your client
initiates the VPN
connection to the endpoint. Once the client connects
to the endpoint
it creates a connection that your firewall
recognizes as 'in state'
and allows traffic between the two devices. This is
by design. So with
a stateful inspection firewall, even though you are
creating rules
that say allow only outbound from client to
endpoint, you are
essentially saying 'only the client is allowed to
initiate a
connection'. Once the client creates the tunnel,
bidirectional traffic
is permitted so long as it obeys the rules of IP
"state" (same IP
addresses, connection kept alive, in the case of
TCP: syn, syn/ack,
ack, push, push/ack, sequence numbers,
acknowledgement numbers, etc).
UDP state is also kept using timeouts, since UDP is
a stateless
protocol.

Keep in mind, the ACTUAL TCP, UDP, and IP header (of
a tunnelled
connection) from a client or VPN endpoint is
encrypted / encapsulated
with a completely different header. So an IKE UDP
packet's
encapsulated data from the endpoint to the client
(which is in state)
may be a TCP SYN (beginning of a TCP connection from
the other network
to the client).

-J

On 11/21/05, Securi Net <securinet2004 () yahoo ca>