Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why NOT to disable Real Time Antivirus on Servers

From: "Nick Duda" <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:21:13 -0500

Classic case would be that a new Virus gets released and your enviroment doesnt have the DAT's yet , or the AV vendor
hasnt released them. Someone gets an email, opens it and executes the attached exe file. Lets say this thing spreads on
the LAN and infects everything, or targets servers and file shares. You then get the DAT file, update everything with
AV and the problem starts to go away.

Whooops, your servers dont have AV, they are infected.