Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: malware block my PC for to enter in internet, possible?

From: northteam () hotmail com
Date: 21 Apr 2006 19:19:42 -0000

Hi,

you should first check out if you have any reasonable IP address on your computer. Start -> Run -> type: cmd -> click
ok. Thats if you have xp or win 2000 if that not working try "command" as "cmd".

There should be command promt screen then. Type ipconfig and check out the IP address. If thats something else than
169.x.x.x the computer is connected to network. If the ip is 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x the network is behind NAT (those
ranges used normally but there could be others too).

Then after checking IP try command: ping www.ewido.net there should be text like "Reply from ...". If theres replys the
network connection works and the problem is in your browser, firewall or windows system. If that doesnt work try out to
ping IP 195.39.104.68, which is same as www.ewido.net.

If ping works with IP and not with the name DNS server is not working for some reason. DNS server might be down or
windows installation might have some problems with TCP/IP.

Webroot spysweeper is quite good program, but I would try out the ewido because I have found out that no program is
perfect ;).

Sincererly
Tapani