Security Basics mailing list archives

Print Server Log Analyzer

From: AdamCivic () gmail com
Date: 18 Dec 2006 14:15:09 -0000

Good Afternoon,

A long time fan of this list. First question.

I have a windows 2003 sp1 printer server. I want to audit printing events, get a persons logon id, amount of pages
printed etc.

The events are currently being audited in the system portion of the event log. Which is fine and dandy, but my manager
wants a pretty report not event logs. I tried to google the solution, but there are tons of print monitoring software
out there, that is not what I need.

Does anyone know of any software or script where I decrypt the print log into a nice excel spreadsheet where I can
manipulate the data and hand it off to my manager. I just need software to "decrypt" the logs. I do not want
to install some 3rd party monitoring software, which most of them include their own services, etc. (especially if it is
already being logged by window)

Much thanks guys in advance,
Adam

ps- sorry if this is the wrong place to post. But auditing is security. :)