Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tracking down anonymous user

From: <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:44:13 -0500

Another way to go about this is to find some unique part of the email
that may help identify the tool used to craft it.  For instance,
Ghostmail.  If you can identify the program used, in my case (GM.exe by
default), you might be able to search some filesystems for the
particular program.  Also, what about searching for all files accessed
on the date the email was sent?  The email was probably sent from some
admin machine.

Just some thoughts.

JMB

mikef () everfast com wrote:
I thought it was odd that outlook didn't display any header
information either. I checked for the headers at the recipient's
computer but it's blank. I've been through all the log files that I
have and made some adjustments for future requirements. The part that
really has me concerned is that the account used is a high level
account which should only be used for SQL processes.