Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP and FTP

From: "Fabien Degouet" <fdegouet () conthackto com mx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:59:25 -0600

Hi guys,

I do not use the XP's firewall but it looks like a really common issue with
ftp.
Just a quick refresh about FTP:
    - FTP opens a "command" session through port 21/tcp, this session will
stay alive until you get disconnected. All the others are opened and closed
for every command you pass.
    - For every command you enter, the result is transfered through an
aditionnal session that can be opened in 2 different ways:
                1- Active mode (default for XP's native ftp client):
                 Through the command PORT the client will say to the server
where it waits for DATA connection. The server then connects to this dynamic
port                         (from source port 20/TCP - ftp-data) and gives
the result to the command (listing, file, etc).
                2- passive mode (you switch with the PASV command or
passive, you can change this in the IE options I think)
                The SERVER sends the PORT command with the port it will open
for the DATA connection. The CLIENT will then connect and both ports
(source/dest) are dynamic. This was used to solve the problem with some
stateful firewalls that did not let go through the incoming DATA sesion in
active mode.

The XP's firewall blocks every "new" incoming session, and even if you say
let ftp (21/tcp) go through you can still have some trouble if XP's fw can
not dynamically read the PORT command and open the port for you. A passive
FTP should be the solution as all the sessions are from the client. I think
you change the default behaviour in the IE options.

I hope this helps,

Fabien

The ftp.exe of XP does