Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: question: Linksys 54G WAP - SSID name change issue

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:27:16 -0600

0) Check the signal strength.  Is it good.  The SSID as long as it
matches on moth ends /should/ have nothing to do with this problem, as
well as the encryption used as long as it matches you should be good to
go.
1) Move the system closer.
2) Get an external antenna.
3) Keep messing with the antennas on both the base and the client.
4) Change the position of the computer.
5) Look for metallic items in the way from base to receiver.
6) Remove microwave ovens from the premise
7) Remove cordless phones from the premise
8) Remove cell phones from the premise
9) Look for large radio towers nearby...  Are they possibly giving you
interfearence?
10) re-read the FCC statement (US residence)
    - this device may not cause harmful interference
    - this device MUST accept any harmful interference received
      including interference that may cause undesired operation.
---
Leif Ericksen