Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: death of the security community

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:21:41 +1100

Hello,
I agree with "The fewer people who are learning about computer security
the bigger the threat becomes". I would have to add that I do not agree
that there was ever a large or significant proportion of people in the
field however.

I would also disagree with the analogy of the flow of information drying
up to just a few drops. There are large deposits of information, papers
educational material etc available. MIT has open learning and offer
course curricula for free.

The difference is that there is a greater requirement for knowledge. One
who could just get into the industry with no training or experience but
to whom the "wizardry" or being a home Linux user propelled forward
would have a hope a decade ago. Now that person is just another
wantabee. Not that things are perfect yet.

The issue is the lack of knowledge generally. Finding basic mathematical
skills is becoming more difficult (Bayesian Networks for Risk - there
are applications). Grammatical skills (writing a report). The technical
skills are becoming easier to find. Unfortunately they are of less use
to an organisation unless they are supported by other skills.

Regards,
Craig