Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: log monitoring/analysis/correlation systems

From: Joseph Jenkins <maillist () breathe-underwater com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:48:26 -0800

I am a huge fan of CS-MARS when you know how to use it you can make it do wonderful things. Also the reporting/query engine is one of the best I have been exposed too. I have used it at my last two companies and couldn't imaging running a network without. Especially once it is coupled with SNARE you are able to pull in all of the log files from your Windows Machine. With the custom log parsing ability I believe the options are endless. Also if you use one the AV Vendors they support you can now report on all of your infrastructure. Auditors like the reports that come out of Mars and the ability to archive them form email or off to a file server is a great advantage of the product.