Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Allowing Non admin users to install approved software

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:24:03 -0700

Do not!  If they would like a program installed, have them send you an
e-mail.  Then you publish the program to the user.  They log out and
then back in and the program will install.  This way you retain control
whilst they get the program they wish.  Since you are only allowing them
programs that are on your "approved" list, then just make sure you have
a valid msi for each and make very sure that you are covering the
programs in your patch management tool.

Jens