Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Verifying E-Mail Addresses

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:53:11 -0400

Well, there are a few ways.

If you use Windows Server 2003, you can make the user's Universal
Principal Name (UPN) suffix match the user's email domain name (which is
often the default anyway). If they then log in using their Windows logon
UPN Name (e.g. user () domain com), Windows will automatically valid the
UPN name for you (and hence, what appears to be the email address to
most people).

Or if you're not using a Windows logon, but you can script or program
behind the scene, you can query the SMTP server using the VRY or EXP
command. You have to send a HELO or EHLO first, but then you can use the
VRY or EXP command to verify that the email name is valid. SMTP will
return a success or failure message, which you can capture with your
script and return into the logon function.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909