Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Value of certifications

From: "Joey Boyer" <joey.boyer () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:18:53 -0400

I think to say S+ is worthless is a bit of a stretch.  Sure, it may
not show that someone is extremely proficient, but I like to think of
it more like a baseline.  It shows that the individual has a decent
grasp of the concepts required for our field.

From a technical standpoint, I think that the CISSP is indeed more
valuable than a S+, as it covers policies much better than the S+, and
if you can get the appropriate policies in place, you've won 80% of
the battle.

Both will help you get a job, but they won't land you the job.  I
agree with fskrc1, you probably won't get hired based on your certs;
however, it'll get you ahead of some of the other applications when
the HR monkeys are checking things out.

I think that since your company is willing to pay for your training,
you should do all you can to get both certs.  You may not be in the
job market now, but down the road you'll most likely thank yourself.