Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Value of certifications

From: "Simmons, James" <jsimmons () eds com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:07:24 -0500

I love the fact that you brought up being a lawyer. Because that is a
great parallel.
I have found that in a lot of states (I can not say how many exactly
since my research is sporadic and based on the state I am living in at
the time), that you don't need to go to law school to become a lawyer.
They still push experience, by having to fulfill requirements like
working for a judge, or law firm or what not, Taking the State of
California for example (http://tinyurl.com/2ellg2), you just need 2
years of college work (General Education) and then Legal education which
includes four years of experience in the legal system, and then you can
take the Bar exam and practice law.
So if you are a very smart and capable individual (IT or Law) then the
experience gets you what you want.

As for your other comments Craig, I agree, and I have thought long and
hard about trying to start up my own, but it is tricky so that I do not
end up sounding like every other cert company. I hope that no one has
thought I was just "whining" about all this and pouting that no one is
going to do what I want.  Of course the only way is to do it myself, but
if someone does it before me to a level of standard I agree with, then I
would not have anything to say.  I would probably line up and take the
test as soon as I can. Hell, for $57 I could afford to risk the test
once just to get a feel of the questions and then brush up and pass it.
Which I believe is an issue that current companies are missing is that
at the more expensive prices, people are worried about taking the test
and failing, cause they could not afford to take it again. Some people
do not test well, with that added on fear, though would make anyone
nervous.

Now I am surprised that no one has mentioned that if the prices was $57,
what is stopping the idiots from just taking the test over and over
again until they pass it? Does anyone have any ideas about thwarting
that method of Certification attack? I was thinking either a long retake
window (i.e. you fail, you have to wait a year before you can retake),
or on the final cert, it states how many times you had to take the test
before you passed? (Public humiliation is not my personal preference,
but it is still a valid way.)
Ideas?

Oh and GSEC? At $800 just to challenge the cert? I will say that I am
more prone to look at GIAC certs in a higher light. Just because their
structure is something I agree with (A tiered approach vs. a single
cert). But seriously, everything about it screams greedy. They push the
classes at a few thousand a pop, and then the tests at $800, just to
challenge something that you think you can passes. Unless I get a
company to pay for it, I don't think I will ever even try for SANS
certs.
I even got the GSEC book they push, and to me it reads like a HACKING
EXPOSED book. "Here is the tool, here is how to use it, don't worry
about the underlying theories or how it works." Now granted it is just
one book, so this is by far not a complete analysis, but for $50+, the
books should be a wealth of information that I can use at work as a
reference, or be able to hand to an underling to help them catch up to
speed. Hell I bought Google Hacking (which I use a lot more in everyday
life, and inline with my job) for less then that, or Hacking Exposed.

But, of course what do I know.

Regards,

Simmons