Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring of Admin logins

From: Tremaine Lea <security-basics () ddiction com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:38:39 -0600

A common practice currently is to create what are referred to as '99' accounts. Change the administrator password to something obscenely secure, and create username99 accounts that have the required administrative privileges. Easier to keep track of makes for a good audit trail.

It should also encourage users to only login with their 99 account when they need administrative privileges.

Cheers,

---

Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant

Be in pursuit of equality, but not at the expense of excellence.