Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Audit Windows files/folders

From: "kevin fielder" <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:50:26 +0100

Hi

From what you have said using a syslog tool in conjunction with Windows
2003 auditing functions would probably do the job.

Something like event reporter on the clients and any decent syslog
server from free ones (e.g. Linux) to cheap (e.g. kiwi syslog) to
expensive (e.g. cisco mars) would enable you to alert on file changes
and may other system and application events and send emails etc out when
your alert conditions are met.

This relies on the windows auditing functionality so may not be as
configurable in terms of what events can be monitored for and logged as
a product like tripwire or a more comprehensive ids product, but this
does allow for alerting on many other system and application events.

As an aside it is very good practice to centralise your event / sys
logs (and application logs if possible) for both monitoring and alerting
purposes, and also for after the event investigation.

Cheers

Kevin