Security Basics mailing list archives

Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: Kappa Alpha Pi Eta <kappaalphapieta () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:11:35 +0000

Hi listers.

so I read this thread about port-knocking (altough called "reflexsive firewalls"). I'd never heard of that and found
that to be an very interesting mechanism. Now I just keep wondering, what an attacker could possibly do to intrude
system secured in such a way. So there are no open ports at all, also, there's no way the attacker could access the
computer physically or via social engineering. The attacker knows that a knock-server is running and that there's some
daemon waiting to become accessible (what ever that may be).
What could a attacker do to somehow get access to that machine? And how can I secure that machine from that kind of
attacks.

Thanks in advance,
Kajin