Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: "Sean Tindall" <sean () bulletproofnetworks ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:08:29 -0700

The knock itself could be a password though too.  The knock could
consist of several port connections, in (the correct) sequence, to an
arbitrary list of ports, before the service you actually want access to
becomes available - but to only the IP address that initiates the knock.

There might even be a way to someone to an OTP scheme with port
knocking, where the sequence of ports to knock is different every time.
All kinds of cool possibilities.

sT