Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: carbonite

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:37:45 -0400

On 6/21/07, fm16923 () bellsouth net <fm16923 () bellsouth net> wrote:
I have been, for a while,
looking for tool that is this simple to use, but will store the data
on my servers at my data center for my employees. I have used Novell's
iFolder product before. It is a great product, and even better since
they open sourced it. But the open source version isn't ready for
prime time yet.

Does anyone know of any other similar tool? I'm looking for some kind
of workstation to server synchronization product.

Have you looked at Unison? (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/)

While it's designed to be a file sync tool (eg, to keep html files in
sync between different servers with a load balancer in front, etc.)
itseems to me it may work for "backup" purposes as well.

It works on Windows as well as various flavors of *nix, so may be a  good fit.

--
jason