Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Demonstrate to users- insecure APs

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:51:26 +1000

Is it possible to sniff all the traffic from all the machines that get's
connected and browse the Internet/LAN through this AP?

Yes. Where does the AP connect to on the wired portion of the LAN?
What about other AP's-are they all unsecured too- can you sniff wireless
traffic as well as wired traffic?
Check these out:
http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/WirelessSniffer

I mean, apart from the usual money saving aspect of having a free ride on
other people's money, ( at home) what else is the risk?

You answered your own question before you asked it...

Is it possible to sniff all the traffic from all the machines that get's
connected and browse the Internet/LAN through this AP?

There's not really any excuse for not securing them these days. Apart from
if you don't care. And even then, it's not good because other people pay the
price for that.