Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification

From: "Johnston Mark (UK)" <Mark.Johnston () O2 COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:06:18 -0000

Hey there,

The biggest distinguishing factor between the 2 certifications is that
for the GIAC certs, you need to complete a practical. This is where I
believe the value comes in, as to be able to pass you must have the
practical knowledge. Take for example the GCFW ... when I did it you
needed to design a secure network, and display the configurations for
the particular components that you used. Then you had to show an attack
on a previously designed network.

If you participate in the courses, you'll also get to meet some of the
top guys in the security industry ... like Eric Cole, Stephen Northcutt
Chris Brenton.

Cheers
Mark