Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification

From: sdddietz () swbell net
Date: 19 Mar 2007 21:41:08 -0000

The Practical has not been around for a couple of years now. It is now Silver and Gold. Only if you achieve a specific
score are you allowed to do a "practical" of a published paper.
Keep in mind, The exams of a CISA, CISSP are walk in closed book. The Exams of a GIAC are not unless going for the
higher level Multi-Certs.
I have Mult GIAC as well as CISSP and CISA so feel like I can speak with some auth.
They hold value, but they are only a ticket. If you do not have the breadth of knowledge historically, you will fail a
CISSP. If you do not have the tech skills you will do poorly on a GSEC. Either way, it is the training that SANS offers
which in my mind holds value, not the Certs

Steven Dietz
CISSP, CISA, GIAC+ (GCFW,G7799)