Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard disk Encryption

From: Vincenzo Ciaglia <vincenzo () ciaglia net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:37:14 +0100

On gio, 2007-03-08 at 04:44 +0000, xaya.phiroz () gmail com wrote:
Hello all,
Since i do not have much knowledge of hard disk encryption, i wanted to know which tool is more effective and easy to
manage.Or infact any other good hard disk encryption tool in your knowledge. I want to implement the tool in client
server architecture for easy management.

I'd like to suggest you TrueCrypt, it's OpenSource and uses an "on the
fly encryption".

Main Features (from the website):
      * Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as
        a real disk.

      * Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such
        as USB flash drive.

      * Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

      * Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an
        adversary forces you to reveal the password:

        1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found
        here).

        2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be
        distinguished from random data).

      * Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5,
        Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish.
        Mode of operation: LRW  (CBC supported as legacy).

Take a look at: http://www.truecrypt.org/

--
Vincenzo Ciaglia, <vincenzo(at)ciaglia(dot)net>