Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:11:48 +1000

Hello James,
The issue is that you should be contacting ISC2. James, you are in
effect making assertions as to the legal status of ISC2. They are a
member controlled non-profit organisation. You are in effect asserting
that they may be engaged in some impropriety and in effect squandering
member's funds on illegitimate endeavours.

What you have done is in effect defamation on a public forum.

Published defamation is called libel. There are several defences,
primarily:
1       what you said was true;
2       you had a duty to provide information.

If you had discovered that the books are not correct for ISC2, it could
be argued that you have a duty to make a statement, you may be protected
under the defence of "qualified privilege." However, this is not the
case in your statements.

You are making implications and innuendos and implying that these are
the truth. The facts are readily available and are publicly audited.
Rather however than obtain the information, you have decided to state
that people who are not in agreement with your tactics are
unprofessional and can not have a rational discourse.

I would argue that a professional would obtain the facts prior to making
assertions and than only make assertion if and when any impropriety is
discovered.

"Bitching" about certifications is one thing. When this degrades into a
petty slinging match about an external third party, this is another
matter.

If you wish to denigrate ISC2, I would expect that you demonstrate some
of the professionalism that you purport to hold and first check the
facts. Or to put this in another format that may be easier to understand
(as much as I hate analogy). On gaining a new client do you rant and
spread FUD as they have product X which has been known to have
vulnerabilities in the past, or do you test the system first and when
finding nothing, report that.

One of the key tenants of professionalism is ethical behaviour.
Spreading implications and innuendos as the truth is unethical.

In a classic formulation approved by Geopel J. of Supreme Court of
British Columbia CA, a communication is defamatory if it "tends to harm
the reputation of another so as to lower [him, her or it] in the
estimation of the community or deter third persons from associating or
dealing with them."

"If the defamatory communication takes a permanent or semi-permanent
form - that is, if it is written, or spoken while being recorded or
filmed such that it is preserved in some way - then it is libel, and
actionable without proof of actual pecuniary loss. If it is spoken only,
then it takes the form of slander and, with some exceptions, only the
economic losses that can be proven to have resulted from the false
communication can be recovered.

Defamatory imputations that depend on an interplay between the impugned
words and the facts and circumstances that surround their publication
fall, at law, into the category of "true innuendo'."

You have attempted without recourse to the truth or facts (which are as
stated available) to impugn an organisation where you have no proof or
duty to do so. This is libellous. I hope that you are clever enough to
desist on this line of discussion.

There is a rather large line between arguing that certification is not
of value as you started and defaming the reputation of a respected
organisation.

I do not care if you like ISC2 or not. This is not discussion or debate.
It is mud slinging and belongs in a gutter.

Regards,
Craig S Wright

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.