Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Full Disk Laptop Encryption

From: "Bob Beringer" <bob () eor us>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:43:18 -0400

Geoff,

Thanks for the email.

The TecSec solution has been 20+ years in the making and works on most platforms.  As such, it has abstracted toolsets
that address your concerns below and apply those benefits to the entire enterprise and each of the various systems in
play.  Further the solution has an API and a set of agents, clients and other mechanisms to properly support most COTS
and other internally developed applications that are seen in most larger production environments around the world.

The 3Com NIC's address the traffic on the network, but they don't necessarily allow for enterprise key management per
user, per system, per application, per dataset, per file, and even more granularly on per object basis that allows for
protection all the way up until each object is pushed to the processor with various appropriate credential sets.

3Com solutions are great for up to a certain point in traditional OSI communications, but they don't necessarily bridge
the gap between the other applications and drivers that you mentioned below.

As for the built-in tools from XP/2003 or the like, they are getting better, but it is truly a relative response, since
they had a very long way to come from and since those tools don’t necessarily work between various systems that are
often found within larger networks and enterprises.

Hope this helps,
Bob