Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security and the Under 30 User

From: Wes Deviers <wdevie () hrcsb org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:56:53 -0500

This is a poignant post. I recently switched jobs, moving from General IT consulting to what has always been my home (Linux & security). I took an unfortunate hiatus from it during the rush to find money after college. I started doing Linux admin "stuff" at 16, and managed a dial-up ISP by 18. The typical story of a man who went through high school without a prom date... I am 25, now.

The job I moved from was at a company composed solely of graduates from my university, the oldest being 27. That's an important point; it set not only the structure of the company, but also the culture. In management's view, we were following the Google Model: if you give people enough rope...they'll make a rocket ship out of rope. With that background, my comments are inline and just a bit Devil's Advocatey.