Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:06:27 -0400

Hi Tony,

The use of any public network has inherent risks. The internet is a public network. When using Free/Open WiFi networks I would ensure that appropriate VPN access is made available if connecting to commercial assets. The use of Free/Open WiFi networks is not inherently more risky than ANY use of the Internet. What's critical to ensure is that any connectivity to assets that need to be kept secure is authenticated an connected in a secure way. Passwords must NEVER be sent in the clear, unless it is for a trivial or publicly accessible resource i.e. anonymous:anonymous () tld dom

In the absence of a PKI infrastructure these kinds of connectivity are risky in any context. It's important to remember that the Internet is a public network and that all connectivity across it is handled with the appropriate safeguards. To suggest that a hard line is more secure than WiFi fails to account for compromise in the wired network. The same type of attacks that are available in a WiFi network are also available over a line.

Best,

Sean Swayze