Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Denied the CISSP, what are oher options

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:43:50 -0400

Erika,
Experience, published research, and good references are the best certifications. The rest are merely pieces of paper that say that you passed a test. Anyone can study and regurgitate information into an exam, not everyone is capable of actually applying what they are attempting to learn. The ability to apply is what makes certain people valuable.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Erika_cissp () yahoo com wrote:
Due to a facebook "breach of ethics" violation at work I don't think I will be getting this cert due to the code of
ethics associated with the CISSP.

I'm middle aged and have reservations about going back for a 4 year degree. Most postings for security analysts want a CISSP
or a degree. I have  4 years solid experience, but that doesn't count for much these days.

What suggestions can anyone give me for other certs that will help get a better job? The MCSE security cert? CCNP security?
Security+ ? Are any of these going to get me anywhere further in my career? I don't have the cash for the SANS as I
live outside the US.