Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PCI: DSS

From: Jason <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 15:11:30 -0400

Hey Pete. You don't need a WAF if you have your custom code reviewed
by a 3rd party according to the DSS. It's an either / or situation.
That being said I am attending a webinar next week which states that
according to research the two are not interchangeable however I think
that is just a marketing / sales tactic more than anything. We'll see.

What I also know is that web application scanners which scan for
vulnerabilities in the application can also be used in lieu of a code
review. Although the code review is more thorough (and I highly
recommend it be made part of your SDLC), they are interchangeable. At
least for now.

I will also urge you to exercise caution when dealing with product
vendors and PCI. PCI can be loosely interpreted in their favor and you
may get convinced to buy something you don't need. Make sure your PCI
needs are run past an actual QSA or the PCI council before you make
any expensive decisions.

Thanks

-J