Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DSS (Passing an audit is NOT compliance!)

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 08:57:41 +1000

"Just out of curiosity, how many people here thinks that PCI does
anything to protect you from the real world threat?"

This depends.
Are you "REALLY" compliant. Or is the organisation doing just enough to fool the auditors.

From experience, I see 80-90% in the latter. Most auditors are not experienced enough to know when they are being BS'd.

As for the question, I have not seen a compromise of a truly compliant organisation. Every single organisation that has
been compromised has actually also had a flaw that should have failed them.

In some instances, the testing was completed on an alternate system that was given to the auditor in place of the real
one. In others, they pointed out the good systems and missed many.

I guess that people do not understand that in this case less than full disclosure is actually criminal fraud. In
Australia in Corps act provisions (similar to the SEC provisions in the US) make it a criminal offence to mislead the
auditor.

To answer the question, yes. I think that getting to this (truly this level) would help. The issue is that which
companies are?

Take for instance a validated firewall. What does this mean?

A validated firewall is one that is tested. This is you use hping or a similar crafting tool to fire packets through
ALL interfaces of the firewall and you validate the firewall policy.

When you read these standards, think how a lawyer will read them, not an IT person. This is because it is a lawyer who
is the judge and prosecutor.

Many QSA's even following their wham bam thank you mam intro to audit and now you are a QSA process are not ready to
audit systems. Those same who do not know the systems they audit. An example being "how do I copy a directory on
Unix":... being a real quote from the principle at a MAJOR PCI specialty firm.

Passing an audit is NOT compliance!

Let me say that again...

Passing an audit is NOT compliance!

The fun of having just completed my LLM in commercial law is understanding these issues a little better. An audit is a
risk report to management. It does nothing to stop the lawyers rolling over you if you are not compliant. The issue
where people try to BS the auditors is BS. The auditors are NOT the enemy, they are the ones stopping the courts roll
over you.

You are either compliant 100% to the standards you need to meet, or you (both the individual AND the organisation) are
at risk.

I do not think that many on the list understand the issues. On another compliance topic, SOX, you tell management and
the auditors that a system is compliant. The auditors are a little clueless (as many are) and do not (as by law they
are required to) test the system.

Who is to blame when the system is compromised?
You are and management is - both.

In fact, your ignorance as to the system security is not a good defence. You have defrauded the auditors and the worst
case is 20 years with a new hubby called bubba... (or the equivalent for the female of bubba).

To demonstrate this. I have a SOX client who is stating that they do not need logs, they have never been compromised.

I have another (who has for 4 years received a clean bill of health from a Big 4 firm) who has more services running on
the finance database than come out of the box. They have the Archie filesystem as a consultant though it would be cool.
They have also not patched it for the last 113 remote root level exploits.

In Australia, not securing payroll and finance information (eg tax file numbers of employees) is a criminal offence.

I will say it again.

Passing an audit is NOT compliance!

Choosing a firm who will pass you is dumb. This is economic false economy. It is buying a broken umbrella in case it
rains.

Regards,
Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance) LLM

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.
Just out of curiosity, how many people here thinks that PCI does
anything to protect you from the real world threat?

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Nick Vaernhoej wrote:
Good morning,

Have you scanned through the supplemental information regarding 6.6?
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/infosupp_6_6_applicationfirewa
lls_codereviews.pdf

You have two options, code review or web application firewall.
You state that you already have custom code reviewed so I would think
you are in good shape.
What makes you think you need to do both? (It is a good idea to do so of
course, but not necessary to satisfy PCI).

Have a great day.

Nick Vaernhoej