Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 51% can be enough Was: Wiping a drive

From: Olatunji Nowlin <Onowlin () transitchicago com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:43:52 -0500

I think he is stating that there is a 49% of correct recovery of EACH individual bit on the drive.  My math could be
rusty after all these years, but that would mean the chance of getting any two bits correct is 0.49*0.49 or 0.24 (24%),
when you work that out to getting 8 bits correct it comes out to something like 0.00332 or 0.33% chance of getting a
single byte correct on the drive.  When you have a 0% chance of getting one single byte correctly recovered I think the
chances of recovering anything useful off of the drive are NIL.

I still have to read the actual document but this is my interpretation from the mail that was sent.