Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless keyboard & mouse

From: Ryan Chow <rynchow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:30:21 +1000

Hi,

The use of wireless mice poses less of a risk of information disclosure as only positional data is being transmitted.

Wireless keyboards are more risky as these would transmit key strokes to the receiver. Provided someone was close enough to capture the signal and no or simple encryption was used then the keystrokes could be captured.

The use of a Bluetooth keyboard would mitigate some of the risk relying on the Bluetooth protocol for security. However Bluetooth itself has it's own security vulnerabilities.

There is some university research into this subject. I'll update you if I can find it.

Regards,

Ryan,

Sent from my handheld.